The squares built during the successive reigns of Geroge II and his grandson George III (1727 to 1820) are referred to as Georgian Squares. Even though Eldon Square was developed between 1835 and 1840 it is referred to as a Georgian style square. In 1843 Thomas Lawrence bought the Gardens and their now Grade II listed walls and railings.
On 9th September 1944 the Gardens were purchased by the then Cosporation of Reading and converted into a 'Garden of Ease' for all Reading's residents in memory of King George V. The statue in the gardens is of Rufus Daniel Isaacs, who was the 1st Marquis of Reading and a Viceroy of India. It was carved by Charles Sergeant Jagger, and set up in New Delhi India. In the late 1960s it was moved to Reading and in 1971 unveiled in the gardens.
Reading Tramways Company
Reading Tramways Company. Horse-trams 2 and 3 at the Cemetery Junction terminus, 15 July 1893. This is the first day of operation for the double-deck cars, and a crowd of onlookers has gathered. Car No. 2 carries advertising for Edwin Awmack's hardware shop at 87 Broad Street. Car No. 3 is waiting for the horses to be changed. Between the cars is a Starley "Royal Salvo" tricycle with two very large wheels. In the background are the cemetery gates, the shop of the Reading Dairy Company at No. 12 Wokingham Road, and the Marquis of Granby inn in London Road. 1890-1899: photograph by Walton Adams.
Eldon Square 1897
Eldon Square at Present
The conversion with RBC planning/building to control approval took place in 2012/3 from commercial to residential - no major structural alterations - mostly partitioning, rewiring, plumbing and fit out. The basement was already a two-bedroom apartment. Basement one apartment, Ground floor 2 apartments, first floor two apartments, second floor one apartment. Developments will now be more internal and of a technical nature as the broadband connection gets bigger/faster (currently 200mb) aids to a more tailored independent lifestyle via apps will become the norm.